Tuesday, January 20, 2009

memento: the musical

No one remembers their lines or dance steps.

The first time I saw Memento was several years ago at a friends house. Immediately the movies unique story telling style attracted me to it. I remember thinking Natalie (Carrie Anne Moss) was an unfeeling monster, and that Teddy/John G. (Joe Patoliano) was trying to help someone at a profit. To see Guy Pearce decide to forget about already exacting his revenge so that he can carry on his life was something I could not understand.
I watched the move repeatedly, at times I owned it. I made it a mission to show it to people who had not heard of it. I preached it in abnormal psychology classes. I saw Memento so much that I really couldn't bring myself to watch it anymore after awhile. Watching it in class was the first time I sat and watched it for at least two years. I don't think I had watched it because the characters all upset me in their own way. To watch it now though seems different. Natalie is less of a manipulative puppetmaster bitch. Natalie was faced with the man who killed her lover, in his clothes, in his car. Teddy/John G. seems almost the same but I dont pitty his fate as much as I had. If he had helped Leonard kill and rekill John G.'s for over a year then to think of the number of lives Leonard was used to destroy is undeterminable. But to see Leonard decide to live in a haze of confusion, seems more human. It shows how his condition was able to persist. Leonard is a flawed individual, every character is. I had held them to a higher standard to do the right thing because Lenny was at a disadvantage to the world. Lenny's condition persisted because it was easier to exist with his condition. It's easier for anyone to keep forgetting bad things.

No comments:

Post a Comment